Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Psalm 34:18

Psalm 34:18 "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

You know how you hear something and it keeps popping up everywhere you are? Or how it suddenly applies to everything in your life?

This is what Psalm 34:18 has done to me. The first time it came to my attention was the loss of my daughter in March. I don't even remember how it was introduced. Ever since then though I am turning to it constantly. And today I just realized this verse is now my mantra in my battle against my grief but also in my everyday battle against depression. I turn to it every time I feel sad or like I want to give up. Every time I need encouragement. This verse has comforted me through the last two months of hard grief and depression. It has soothed the pain or anger or lack of empathy. It has come to mind when I have the urge to lash out at someone. Because they are probably acting like they are because they are crushed in spirit. Then I just want to nod my head in understanding and leave them be. There is always something that brings us comfort when we need it. Whether it be a bible verse or some other quote or saying. It could be a picture or mental image that gives us a break.

What brings you comfort or joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment